Tony ,

OK !  Using your supplied information

I wonder whether your ADSL line is synchronised and talking back to the ISP .

Have you powered it off , and then switched on and let it resynch with the exchange ?

I have my original ADSL modem in the cupboard  ...
an Alcatel Speed Touch Home which has a series of LEDS that show what is happening .

Then I am using a Netcomm Modem Router , which is severely deficient with Led information.

Recently my ISP was in trouble and the Netcomm told me nothing .... just nothing worked ,
no mail and no Safari connection .

I had to resort to the old Modem to see what was happening ... line was not connecting to the ISP ,
and it was an ISP problem .

You may be having the same trouble.

And as to Modem life ... obviously they can get into trouble , but I have not experienced it. Technology change has usually demanded a new modem before the old one got into trouble.

Hope that helps

Bob