On 13/03/2006, at 11:20 AM, Antony N. Lord wrote:

I've got an 8 page PDF (1.5Mb).

I've opened a single page in Adobe Illustrator to make some changes (delete a line of text and add a caption) and resaved the document.

It's now a whopping 5Mb and remains that way after trying to use Acrobat to reduce the file size.

Any ideas on a solution - I'm not exactly sure where the original document is that was used to create the PDF (probably a Word file).

I can highly recommend the shareware utility PDF-Compress for shrinking PDF Files. I recently had to produce a document as PDF, and the resultant file ended up at around 30Mb! PDF-Compress reduced that to about 3.1 Mb, with no appreciable difference in quality (except for much faster loading speeds).

PDF-Compress is available on VersionTracker, and is worth every penny of the shareware price if you work with PDF files.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913