On 22/04/2006, at 6:42 PM, Paul Chong wrote:

Every time I click on the wmv file, Graphic Converter X V4.9 automatically takes over. Result: unknown format and can't be opened. Now upon advice from Kevin Lock I downloaded the Window Media Player for Mac. The question is: How do I get the Window Media Player to
automatically open instead of the Graphic Converter?
BTW, I also have Flip4MacWMV.
Paul

If you have Flip4Mac installed, why not just have them open in Quicktime Player?

1. Click on a .wmv file (any one will do) and choose File > Get Info from the Finder Menu. Look for the panel called "Open With:" in the Info window.

2. Click on the popup menu (which no doubt says Graphic Converter at the moment) and choose "Other..." from the list.

3. Navigate to your Applications folder in the resultant Open file dialog, and change "Recommended Applications" to "All Applications", then choose "Quicktime Player".

4. Back in the Info window, click the "Change All..." button.

From now on, all .wmv files will open on Quicktime Player (if they're able to. Some won't open in anything at all one the Mac. It's just Microsoft's idea of how a "standard" should behave). If you have Quicktime Pro, you can even save the movie back as a .mov file, and forget about Windows Media Player forever. Yay.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913