We bought a more expensive 150W "sine wave" Inverter that puts out smoother AC power similar to (if not better than) that from the mains. Cheap inverters put out a square wave (or "modified sine-wave" or PWM (pulse width modulation)) which only vaguely mimics the waveform of the alternating current from Western Power.

Modern switched-mode power supplies for laptops can have problems with square waves so we decided to spend more to get a cleaner power supply. I think we got ours from the 12volt Shop in Welshpool. http://www.12volt.com.au/

I know some people who have used the cheaper option successfully, but I personally didn't want to risk an expensive laptop.

Here's some info on the subject from
http://www.thesolarguide.com/solar-energy-systems/stand-alone-inverters.aspx

Stand-alone inverter types
For the purest, best form of power, you will require a pure sine wave inverter.

A modified or square sine wave inverter is cheaper but some loads will be damaged by it (e.g. laser printers or some cordless power tools). Other loads will not be as powerful (e.g. a microwave)

What's a sine wave?
Pure sine waves have much more "flow" to them. You could say their power has been "smoothed out" much more effectively. This is the same sine wave form delivered in conventional electricity, and you will need a (more expensive) pure sine wave inverter, if you hope to effectively power large appliances or power tools.

If you do not require such a strong and consistent source of energy, then a modified or square sine wave inverter will do. The form of the wave is "choppier," and the power provided might also be choppy. The modified or square sine wave inverter is also called amulti-step or stepped inverter.

-Mart