Hi Paul,

this was one of the things Telstra first suggested when it joined the party. AT&T does the same through Starbucks in the US.

Here is the article I read from the Apple site <http://www.apple.com/ au/pr/library/2008/07/1telstra.html> and at the end of the relevant section it reads:

iPhone 3G will be available from Telstra on 11 July with a range of specially designed Next G iPhone 3G plans that meet the needs of any customer. The Next G iPhone 3G plans start at $30 per month with an upfront cost of $279 for the 8GB model and $399 for the 16GB model. Customers will receive the 8GB iPhone 3G model at no cost with the $80 plan and either the 8GB or the 16GB model at no cost with plans starting at $100 per month. All plans include free Wi-Fi access at Telstra hotspots and require a 24-month contract.

When you do a google you'll see a lot more. I think it is typical that Telstra sales people don't know their products.

                      Regards,
                      Eugene


On 23/07/2008, at 10:15 AM, Paul Mulroney wrote:

Hi there

On 23/07/2008, at 5:01 AM, WAMUG Mailing List wrote:

My understanding is that if I take my iPhone down to my favourite
cafe, which has a free wireless hotspot (that I use often with my
laptop), I can connect and browse etc. for free.

I am reading in today's Australian that this is not the case.
Can anyone clarify this for me


I haven't seen the article in the paper, but the Telstra salesperson said to me that all traffic was chargeable, even wifi traffic. I rang a networking guru who said that he believed this was highly unlikely.

I have my iPhone connected to my wifi connection, and have downloaded heaps of stuff, which doesn't count toward the NextG data as far as I can see.

Regards,
Paul.

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
--
Paul W. Mulroney Logical Developments
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         86 Coolgardie Street
www.logicaldevelopments.com.au                      BENTLEY  WA  6102
Ph: +61 8 9458 3889 Fax: +61 8 9458 2169




-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>