Hi Paul,

Better still from the horses mouth.

<http://www.telstra.com.au/wirelesshotspots/pricing.htm>

Pricing

The Telstra Wireless Hotspot service, with its availability, selection of partners and ease of access, is affordable and great value.

    * Casual Usage Options
    * Subscription Options

Casual Usage Options
Telstra Mobile Post-Paid Customers: One log-in session at a time

Telstra Post-Paid Mobile customers will be charged the following:
Connection fee per session      Charge per minute (or part of minute)
25 cents (inc GST)      20 cents (inc GST)

If you are a BigPond customer, please visit www.bigpond.com for pricing options.

If you are a Telstra iPhoneâ„¢ 3G customer on an iPhone Plan, you will not be charged for using the Telstra Wireless Hotspot service via this payment method.

                      Regards,
                      Eugene


On 23/07/2008, at 10:15 AM, Paul Mulroney wrote:

Hi there

On 23/07/2008, at 5:01 AM, WAMUG Mailing List wrote:

My understanding is that if I take my iPhone down to my favourite
cafe, which has a free wireless hotspot (that I use often with my
laptop), I can connect and browse etc. for free.

I am reading in today's Australian that this is not the case.
Can anyone clarify this for me


I haven't seen the article in the paper, but the Telstra salesperson said to me that all traffic was chargeable, even wifi traffic. I rang a networking guru who said that he believed this was highly unlikely.

I have my iPhone connected to my wifi connection, and have downloaded heaps of stuff, which doesn't count toward the NextG data as far as I can see.

Regards,
Paul.

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
--
Paul W. Mulroney Logical Developments
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         86 Coolgardie Street
www.logicaldevelopments.com.au                      BENTLEY  WA  6102
Ph: +61 8 9458 3889 Fax: +61 8 9458 2169




-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>