Glenn this is the battery now.
http://members.westnet.com.au/travis253/battery1.jpg
http://members.westnet.com.au/travis253/battery2.jpg

Obviously it's got a lot worse since I noticed it. I could only just
tell it was bulging when when the battery was in, but it was obvious
when I took it out. I then left it out for a week while on holiday.
After that I couldn't get it back in. It was at that point it was
rejected for replacement.
My original email should have read - Apple said "if the battery is
removable...".  In other words if it is not "stuck" in. That made me
angry - no logic there!
So you can take the battery out for inspection, it won't matter.

cheers
Travis