I agree with Eugene, Mike and others on InDesign as the preferred option for page layout. Write text in Word or another word processing application but the product that goes to the printers should be in a dedicated page layout application and InDesign is the current front runner. Also, being an Adobe application, the transition to PDF is seamless.

Cheers
Ian

From: Darrel McGuiness <dmcguin...@tawarri.id.au>
Subject: Re: Reading embedded documents within a MS Word doc
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:09:28 +0900

Ian or others,
If writing a draft for a book; what applications (word processing), would be acceptable?
Regards
Darrel
On 04/02/2009, at 4:50 PM, Ian Conaghan wrote:

I have found that by simply dragging the embedded object onto the desktop and opening it from within a relevant application eg: image files - Graphic Convertor or Photoshop etc has always worked for me but I admit that I haven't tried it with an embedded PDF.

Further to Daniel's comments on sending certain file types to commercial printers, I quote from the Penfold Buscome Print Buyers Guide: Applications that are not commercially acceptable and should be avoided are Microsoft Publisher, Word, Excel or Powerpoint (among others)

 Cheers
 Ian

 No, did not work.
 Has anyone else met and solved this problem?

 regards

 robin

 I don't know if this would work but I have used it many times to