From: "Diana & Graham Stevens" <diag...@iinet.net.au>
Sent: Monday, 16 March, 2009 3:16:14 PM GMT +08:00 Beijing / Chongqing / Hong Kong / Urumqi
Subject: Slow Printing Problem

Our printer which used to be very fast is now so slow as to be almost useless.

It is an HP LaserJet 8150 series. It is connected to an Ethernet
network and serves a PowerMac G5 (1.8 Ghz Dual Processor 4 GB RAM)
and an iMac G5 (1.8 Ghz 1GB RAM) both running Panther.

It has just taken more than 10 minutes to print one page from a 60K
Word 2004 document on the iMac, the second page took 8 minutes.
Graham had to go to his meeting without it!

Sometimes rebooting the computer, printer  and router helps speed
things up but not today.

The message on the printer window keeps alternating between "READY"
and "DATA RECEIVED". The message in the Print Utility window jumps
quickly to 22% spooled then increases about 2-3% a minute.

I transferred the file to my computer and tried printing it, after 5
minutes it had spooled 36% of the first page. I transferred it to
Word 5.1a (file now 8K) and printed both pages in about 1.5 min in
Classic, which is usually slower than OS X. I then opened the Word
2004 file in Word 5.1a and there is an enormous amount of
gobbledygook, I screen of text plus 19 screens of rubbish!

I wonder if there is something wrong with the RAM in the printer, is
there any way I can check?

Can anyone offer any suggestions apart from "call the serviceman".

Best wishes to all from Diana