Barry,

From what I can find out, which is not much, Australia will be using DRM (Digital Radio Mondial) to broadcast Digital Radio outside densely-populated areas because DRM can use low-frequency transmissions, which propagate over much longer distances than do the frequencies used for DAB+.

Even medium-wave AM frequencies are sufficient for DRM.

A DAB+ only receiver will therefore not operate in country WA. A combination DRM/DAB+ receiver would therefore be a much more sensible proposition.

Ask dealers for DRM/DAB+ receivers; in today's market it is demand that often determines supply.

Bob

Harvey Norman are advertising 10 models of DAB+ radios with prices ranging from $200 to $800. I have no idea what stock they hold if any. I was intrigued with some of the comments in the blog Reg referred to, apparently there are people out there who want DAB+, FM and AM in one receiver. Why they would want AM I do not know as it is my understanding that the majority of AM stations will broadcast in DAB+ simultaneously (all ABC stations will be and the majority of Southern Cross Broadcasters as well).

BJS

--
Regards,

Ray Forma
50 Harvest Road, North Fremantle WA 6159, Australia
Tel & Fax 61 (0)8 9335 6568
Mob 61 (0) 428 596938


-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>