What size Apple monitor? I had a blank screen problem recently with a 20" Apple monitor, and apparently it was caused by the monitor's power source. Technicians at Macworx described this monitor as being more 'touchy' than other brands. It turned out there was nothing wrong with my monitor and the power source just needed to be placed 'just so'. So, if yours is a 20 incher, try positioning the power source so it is very stable. Observe while you are handling it if the monitor comes on when the power source is in certain positions.

HTH,
Pat