As part of my operation I record many clips off air to a hard disk recorder and save them on a disk in DVD format to carry upstairs to my computer and save for archive. In the computer I edit and convert to digital video (.dv) using Cinematize 2 Pro. I then view this on Quick Time and save individual frames (Export/ Movie to Picture/ Millions of colours, best quality, no compression) which gives me .pct stills which I open in CS3. Sounds complicated but it is a good working system for me. On opening the .pct file in Photoshop CS3 the dialog notes that the file has "no embedded profile" and gives the usual options. Whether I choose not to colour manage or to Assign my working space profile (Adobe RGB(1998)) the opened still frame differs significantly from the QT view, usually being significantly darker. This makes sense as it had no profile embedded. Naturally I can tweak to what I want in Photoshop but it would be nice to know what profile it had at an earlier time of life, and which presumably is applied in QT, but which has been lost along the way in saving the frame. If I assigned this profile, then converted to Adobe RGB(1998) I should get back to the QT view.
Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated!
Severin Crisp
                   Assoc Professor R Severin Crisp, FIP, CPhys, FAIP
       15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia.
                    Phone  (08) 9842 1950   (Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                            email  mailto:sevcr...@westnet.com.au