As a similar reluctant Fusion/Windows user I can say I have been pleasantly surprised. CNET AVG Anti Virus is free and is updated regularly. Because Fusion is really a Mac application running, I do not blieve having it on a separate partition will offer any extra protection.
Best wishes
Severin Crisp