On 05/07/2009, at 7:44 PM, Aurora74 wrote:

Hi List,

I want to create an SOE style backup of my machine - so not just the OS and those settings (hopefully all the network settings and locations) but those
of all the applications as well.

So if I have to restore it is all in the one box so to speak.

What do people recommend for this? Do I need to boot from the system CD's to
perform the complete backup or will files be locked and not included?

The last time I did this was under OS9 and the world has changed much since
then.

Smiles
Aurora

Hi Aurora

Superduper is your friend ... free copy to start with available here :-

<http://www.shirt-pocket.com/>

The free version will erase the disk you are copying to and then copy all
the necessary files off your hard drive including your user files .

Unless you are on a recent intel mac , recommend a firewire external drive .

With the firewire external drive you can boot from that drive and then copy back
to your normal Mac if you need to .

Pay for the extra's on Superduper and you can be selective about what you copy
eg :  System and NO users
or
Users and no system

Your settings for the applications you use will be in your User folder ,
including Mail & Bookmarks & application preferences .

Various people have different preferences , so your's will be in your user file while another user wih their own account will have their prefernces in their user file

Have fun

Bob

--
'A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
never get over.' Benjamin Franklin