Sev & other interested folk,

I have tried to research the area of digital radio but reliable sources are far and few between. For example, the first time I have come across the frequency that the DAB+ digital broadcasters are using is in James / Hans Kunz's contribution to this discussion. At last I know what type and dimension of antenna I should be designing.

What I have also found out is that it seems that in Australia the big cities will have DAB+ digital, but the rest of the country will get DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale), which uses Mediumwave (AM), Shortwave (AM) and FM frequencies to carry digital signals over much greater distances than the high-frequency DAB+ transmissions.

So, if you live away from the current DAB+ transmitter sites then don't buy a digital receiver that only decodes DAB+.

The ABC is already testing DRM on 1386kHz AM from a 3kW transmitter in Wollongong, NSW, and there are several shortwave DRM broadcasts that you can receive in Western Australia with a suitable receiver.

Have a look at <http://www.drm.org/for-broadcasters/live-broadcast-schedule/>, and their main page.

I hope that the EyeTV people will soon produce software that will allow us to decode digital radio via our Macs.

Let us know if you can find out more about future plans for digital radio in Australia.

Neil, with my settop box I also get several ABC and SBS digital radio channels
Severin
                   Assoc Professor R Severin Crisp, FIP, CPhys, FAIP
       15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia.
                    Phone  (08) 9842 1950   (Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                            email  mailto:sevcr...@westnet.com.au

Regards,

Ray Forma
50 Harvest Road, North Fremantle WA 6159, Australia
Tel & Fax 61 (0)8 9335 6568
Mob 61 (0) 428 596938