John
before you get too involved - you have tried clicking the log in
button without typing a password? There might not be one!
regards
alastair
On 17 Sep 2009, at 09:30, Ronda Brown wrote:
On 17/09/2009, at 3:26 PM, [email protected] wrote:
Folks,
I have been given the use of an iBook G4 from work. When I fire it
up it is asking for a password to get further.
There is no system disks or manuals just the computer and charger.
What can I do without wiping the disk
Hello John,
I have been hesitating giving these instructions as I do not know
for sure if you have come by this iBook legitimately. But, on
searching the Archives for your name and finding you have been on
WAMUG mailing list for a few years, I'm taking your word that this
iBook has been given to you from work.
Do you have a copy of OS X that is close to what the iBook has
installed? If so you can use that disc to reset the Administrator
Account password.
1. Start up from a Mac OS X. Install CD (one whose version is
closest to the version of Mac OS X installed). Hold the C key as
the computer starts.
2. Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu (or Utilities menu
in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger).
Tip: If you don't see this menu or menu choice, you're
probably not started from the CD yet.
3. Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.
4. Set the user name of your original administrator account.
Important: Do not select "System Administrator (root)". This
is actually a reference to the root user.
Do not confuse it with a normal administrator account.
5. Quit from the Installer Menu and when your iBook restarts you
will know the admin password.
After following the above steps, you'll want to also follow the
steps in <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1631> to delete the
original "login" Keychain.
Cheers,
Ronni
17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>