Thank you Ronda,
I will download direct from camcorder to iMovie 06.

Just as a matter of interest:-
If you were buying a new camcorder, would you stay with DV tape or go for a Hard Drive or Memory Card ? The Memory card type appeals to me for convenience and ease of storage, but after your comments and others on forums I am not so sure now !!