Hi Rod,

The bit that is missing is an amplifier. The audio output from the airport
express is meant to drive the input of an amplifier/receiver/music centre
(typically via an ³Aux in² input port). There is no amplifier in the Airport
Express and the output is insufficient to drive the speakers directly ­
unless you can find outdoor speakers with built-in amplifiers.

Typically Airtunes with the airport express is used to send the sound from
your computer in one room to a sound system in another room.

With regard to your specific question, the answer is yes ­ you can play your
itunes music to the outdoor speakers with the following qualifications:

> 1. I've installed  powered outdoor speakers
Yes, if by powered speakers you mean speakers with built-in amplifiers which
take a line-level input.

> 2.I've got a powerpoint outside near the outdoor speakers

> 3. I run an audio cable from the airport express into the outdoor speakers
Yes, but the airport express and power supply is not designed for an outdoor
environment so depending on the distance involved this cable length could be
problematic for a signal line.

The other way to do it would be to just have non-powered outdoor speakers
and just run the speaker wire into an internal sound system (just an amp if
you are only interested in the Airtunes source) - this is basically how I
have my garden sound set-up ­ Airport express to get the sound from computer
to sound system then wires to external speakers. My sound system is an old
receiver with ³A² and ³B² speaker outputs, so the internal speakers are
connected to ³A² and the external speakers to ³B².

Some advantages with this set-up are:

* I can select radio/CD/computer (aux) for the sound source
* I can direct the sound to internal, external or both sets of speakers.

One disadvantage to this set-up is:
* When the sound is directed to both internal and external ³A+B² speakers,
the single volume control controls the volume for both speaker sets.

My external speakers were just from Dick Smiths ­ they are OK for me - they
do not get used that frequently but if I wanted better quality, I would
spend more ;)

Cheers

Neil
--