The Turbo-boost feature of the quad-core Core i5 and i7 chips can shut down unused cores and boost the clock speed of the remaining cores to much faster clock speeds depending on usage:

The 2.66 GHz Core i5 has a Turbo Boost speed of up to 3.20 GHz
the 2.8 GHz Core i7 can go up to 3.46 GHz in Turbo Boost mode.

At the other end of the spectrum, the Core i7 also supports Hyper- threading which effectively gives you twice the number of logical cores for a grand total of 8 cores. If you need to run lots of apps at once or you have things like video compression jobs and VMware and other multi-threaded apps running and want to spread your load over multiple CPUs, this feature can be very useful. The Core i5 however does not support Hyper-threading.

I've found hyper-threading very useful on my 8-core Nehalem Mac Pro as with hyper-threading Mac OS X shows it is running on a 16 core monster. I am able to fully max out my 12GBs of RAM running several video compression jobs (which are each multi-threaded over up to 4 cores each), dual-core Windows XP and a second dual-core VM running Vista, and a stack of other Mac apps without any slow downs at all. It is not quite as fast as 16 real cores, but it definitely does encoding and other multi-threaded tasks faster than 8 maxed-out physical cores. (having 4 x 1TB drives hardware RAIDed internally helps a lot as well so that disk access doesn't become the bottleneck).

-Mart