Hi Martin,

You don't mention what Mail program or OS you are using so I'm assuming Apple Mail in Leopard or Snow Leopard.

In Apple Mail, I have Rules set for approx. 50 Mail Boxes, with Multiple conditions and Actions. So all my important emails are immediately in the correct mail boxes.
I also use Notes & To Do Items in Apple Mail.
I would be in a complete mess if I didn't use Rules & Notes & To Do Items ;-)

Extract below taken from "Take Control of Apple Mail in Leopard" (still applies to Mail in Snow Leopard):
Automate Mail With Rules:
Mail applies rules (sometimes called filters) automatically to incoming messages. Among other things, rules can highlight messages or move them to specific mailboxes based on criteria like the name of the sender or the nature of the message content. For example, you can sort messages from mailing lists into a mailbox you only check when you have time, while highlighting messages from your boss in a special color.

Notes:
Notes can hold any sort of information (styled text, graphics, and so on) and are automatically stored in a special mailbox without your having to actually mail yourself a message; you can edit these notes whenever you want. Notes behave just like regular messages for the purposes of searching and smart mailboxes.
End of Extract:

A couple of links that might help you understand Apple Mail & what it can do:
This is an old article but still applies to Smart Mailbox:
<http://www.macworld.com/article/46639/2005/09/octworkingmac.html>
<http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailtips/Mac_OS_X_Mail_Tips_Tricks_and_Secrets.htm > <http://www.macworld.com/article/134932/2008/08/mailrules.html?lsrc=mwhints >

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB