Peter,

I find Firefox slightly more useful that Safari for my own particular purposes, but I know many others who have a reverse preference.

In my 25 years of Mac use I have never installed anything specific to protect myself from nasties, and never had problems with nasties. Most nasties are Microsoft nasties, not Computer nasties as the media portray them, so I try to use as few Microsoft products as possible. The only annoyances I have is from spam email. Causes include having my address on my website, loading images in spurious emails, and once replying to a spurious email (biggest mistake).

Had a neighbour's Windows PC, riddled with Microsoft viruses etc to fix last weekend. After 4 hours decided that the only solution was to re-install Widows. At that point we wished that Microsoft would steal another Mac feature; the need to NOT reinstall all the applications after a system re-install. May the Mac stay free from true computer nasties as long as possible.