I forgot to mention that after installing OS X 10.6.3 and the computer
restarts, iCal launches and "Upgrading iCal Calendars".
DON'T stop it doing this, let it complete the updating of your iCal Calendars.

Apple warning for installing Updates: Do not interrupt the installation process
once you have started to update your system.