-- Thanks everyone for the advice. It was hard to use Activity Monitor
because after starting it up, it too would stall. But I've got my iMac
running quite well now by restarting, as suggested, from the
installation DVD, and doing a Disk Repair (it did need repair). Also I
have done the new 10.6.3 update as outlined by Ronni.

-- The problem now is with my 120 Gb Lacie external HD. Until the
10.6.3 update, it did appear on my device list and could be used,
though a bit flaky. Now it no longer appears. Is there any way I can
force it to appear so that I can use Disk Repair on it? It's got a
Firewire connection, if I check Firewire under Hardware in System
Profiler, the FireWire Bus shows only  'Unknown Device'. Does this
mean the hailstorm might have rendered the HD unusable?

TIA --

David Noel
2010 Mar 30