Hi John,

You had the same problem back on 22 May 2010. Did you find a reason then?

Are you using Parallels &  have a Virus Program running such a McAfee, which
could be generating a large file?

Check Activity Monitor and the Console logs, they should show you what is using
up your CPU time.
If there are lot's of Diagnostic Logs, they might be able to point you to an
application that is probably crashing repeatedly and causing the problem.
Maybe you can read the first few lines of a couple of such logs and check
what's going on.

You could also download & install OmniDiskSweeper.When you start
OmniDiskSweeper, it presents you with a list of disks attached to your machine.
Double-click on one, and a new window opens with a “column” view listing every
folder and file you can access, which it sorts by size as you watch.

You then simply browse through the folders and files and delete the large ones
which you are no longer using.
If a file is part of the system, it'll say so on the panel (in the list of
Packages the file belongs to), so you won't accidentally get rid of something
that would make your system stop working.
<http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidisksweeper/>

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 4GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard