Good afternoon Jon and all,

Very much like Daniel I have been using WD drives for many years and
currently have 10 of them giving me no troubles at all, 2 internal drives
and the rest external.

However, late last year I purchased a 750Gb WD external with USB & FW
interfaces and the drive gave me trouble from the very start in that it
would sometime mount and at other times there was nothing I could do to
mount it. Result was that I could not reformat using Disk Utility, and
returned it back.

And 3 weeks ago a small 500GB drive, also a WD with FW & USB, did the very
same thing and was promptly returned to the shop. Must add that for both of
those 'faulty' drives I tried both USB and FW with no luck. I am not sure of
where the problem lies because in the past 3 years I have been helping
friends and family set up their external drives, all being WD which I did
recommend they purchase, without any problems. The last one I formatted and
set up was a 2 TB triple interface WD, a really good drive.

I think that if the drive can be mounted and you can reformat as Daniel
advised,  then it should not cause any problems, however I tend to suspect
something is wrong with it.

Good luck,

Philippe

2010/7/24 Daniel Kerr <[email protected]>

>
> Hi Jon
>
> I've also used (and installed) lots of Western Digital drives and they all
> work well. (Probably close to over a hundred drives easily over the last
> 2-3
> years) And I also use about 7+ Western Digital drives here. All work well.
>
> I would try formatting it in Disk Utility and see how it goes. If still the
> same you can try a zero all data/low level format will sometimes wipe out
> any bad sectors as well. (Just takes a while).
>
> 2. Try Repairing Permissions. Does it still on a particular part of the
> update? You could try downloading them manually from here
> <http://support.apple.com/downloads/> and then see which ones install and
> which ones stop. You may then have to remove it from /Receipts and work out
> which (and why) one is stopping.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Kind Regards
> Daniel
>
>
> On 24/7/10 1:05 PM, "Vladimir James" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >
> > No problems here. Have been using a pair of WD 1 TB for the last year
> without
> > hassles.
> >
> > Vlad James
> >
> > On 24/07/2010, at 11:32 AM, Jon Davison wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> Hi everyone. I have two problems, as usual. So I would welcome any
> >> suggestions here;
> >>
> >> 1. Has anyone had any problems with these 1TB WD drives? mine has always
> done
> >> odd things, like crash, freeze the system etc. So now I have wiped the
> drive
> >> in TechTool Pro 4.
> >> After getting info, I find this;
> >>
> >> Capacity: 931.39 GB
> >> Available: 513.2 GB
> >> Used: 418.19 GB
> >>
> >> The drive is empty (well it appears so) so am just wondering what is
> taking
> >> up this space? I tried to verify and/or repair in Disk Utility but it
> says
> >> that it cannot unmount the drive.
> >> So not sure what is happening. I wanted to erase and reformat the drive
> to
> >> see if it can still be used, but it appears there may be a problem at
> the
> >> root level?
> >> Any clues re the above drive?
> >>
> >> My system is;
> >> MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz dual/2GB/1TB/10.5.1
> >>
> >> 2. I cannot update the OS software or any other on the above machine. It
> just
> >> stalls, I can wait all day and it does nothing.
> >>
> >>
> >> ps; Thank you Bob for taking the time to look at my 2 x G5's with the
> RAM
> >> problem. The cases are now happy in their new incarnation as letter
> boxes!
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Jon
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> > Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> > Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> > Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
> >
>
> ---
> Daniel Kerr
> MacWizardry
>
> Phone: 0414 795 960
> Email: <daniel @ macwizardry . com . au>
> Web:   <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>
>
>
> **For everything Macintosh**
>
>
>
>
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
>
>


-- 
J Philippe Chaperon
Perth, Australie Occidentale


-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>