Actually, I understand Outlook for Mac is more than just a re-badging although
it still doesn't support native MAPI for connecting to Exchange, something that
has been a feature of Outlook for PC forever:

"Outlook for Mac is coming to Office 2011, replacing Entourage. Outlook for Mac
is a new application that leverages the Exchange Web Services protocol and is
being built using Cocoa, allowing for improved integration with the Mac OS.
Today we are also announcing that Outlook for Mac will import .PST files from
Outlook for Windows — a top customer request. In addition, as announced last
year, Outlook for Mac features a reliable, high-speed, file-based database with
Spotlight search and back-up support from Time Machine."

In terms of my experience with both existing versions of the programs, LookOut
is better and worse than EnterRage and both suck in general.

On a PC OutLook is known to corrupt PST files (all your email) and I've had
Entourage corrupt innumerable mail databases and lose thousands of my calendar
appointments and email messages as well as propagate the corruptions to all my
other computers and iPhone thanks to Exchange.

I am now using Outlook 2007 under Parallels and VMware for all my work email
and calendaring and suffering with its foibles but at least it hasn't yet lost
mail.

Entourage's search features are a lot better than Outlook.
Outlook has far better page layout features within email messages than
Entourage (think text wrap around images, HTML linking to bookmarks within the
one email message etc.)
Entourage is very buggy with bullets and multiple indenting
Outlook handles delegation and proxy email senders better than Entourage
Outlook supports server-side rules if you use an Exchange server while
Entourage doesn't.
Outlook has a voting buttons feature that Entourage lacks
Entourage supports drag and drop from other apps (Mac feature)

Thankfully Outlook for Mac 2011 gets rid of the monolithic mail database file
which would always have problems with Time Machine and Spotlight (not to
mention those database corruptions i mention above) and instead uses individual
files for mailboxes, messages etc.

I'd switch to Apple Mail and iCal if we had Exchange 2007 here at Curtin, but
we are still stuck at Exchange 2003 which Apple's software doesn't support
which is very frustrating.

We also use shared calendars a great deal so would hope Apple's integration
with Exchange 2007+ is rock solid.

Of course it remains to be seen whether Microsoft's implementation of Outlook
on the Mac is any good or not - I'm not holding my breath having been
disappointed and frustrated too many times in the past, but we can always
hope...

-Mart

Martin Hill
mailto:mart_h...@mac.com