Yes I agree John, and thanks very much Pete for helping me understand
and describing how FM can be used with the ipad. I ordered one
yesterday! I will now look into upgrading my FM Pro software. The Aust
FM site looks pretty good and there are many resources like you say.
Kind regards thanks once again Peter, I appreciate your great advice.
Chris
On 24/08/2010, at 10:27 AM, John Thompson wrote:
Some very good tips there Peter, and with the arrival of Filemaker
Go, an compelling reason to purchase the iPad. Might just wait
until the next release before I do though.
John Thompson
On 24/08/2010, at 7:46 AM, Peter Hinchliffe wrote:
On 23/08/2010, at 12:13 PM, Chris Burton wrote:
Hi Pete
Thanks so much for you advice Pete that really spells it out for
me. Just a few more questions regarding specifics:
When I upgrade to version 11 do I then use that to open my present
database and save it as .fp7 on my MBPro, or do I need Version 7
or 8 to do that?
There is a prescribed "best practice" approach to convert from .fp6
files. If your existing solution contains just a single file,
simply drop its icon onto the Filemaker 11 application icon in the
dock (or wherever else you can see it). If your solution relies on
multiple files strung together with relationships, select ALL of
the files involved and drop them together onto the Filemaker ii
icon. It's very important that you select every file in this
instance if you want ot avoid headaches down the track. In either
case, Filemaker will warn you that the files were created with an
earlier version of Filemaker Pro, and save them all as .fp7 files
in a location you specify. Filemaker 11 will do all the conversion
necessary. You do not need Filemaker 7 or 8. The .fp7 file
extension is still the filename extension used for Filemaker 11
files, which is in keeping with all previous major upgrade changes
with Filemaker Pro.
Bear in mind that while a multi-file solution will be copied
faithfully, with all files in their correct location and all
relationships honoured, Filemaker Pro has, since Filemaker 7,
supported the practice of storing multiple tables within a single
file. The ramifications of this approach for the way you think
about using Filemaker are far too numerous to go into here, but
there are some excellent resources on Filemaker's site which
explain it all.
Then, once I download FM Go to the ipad (is that any model with
wireless?) I have to redo my mobile database using Go, is that
right? (rather than uploading the old version?).
Can this new Go database be appended to the main db on the MBPro?
If so that would be just fantastic.
Just as a small example for my own part, I have written a small
Filemaker file which keeps track of the various tips, techniques,
helpful emails, websites, etc that I come across on a daily basis.
I now have several years' worth of information stored in it, but it
has, naturally enough, been written for use on my standard Macs,
ie, my iMac and my Macbook Pro. I am now using that identical file
on my iPhone 4. I get the same layouts, all the scripts work the
same, and I have full search on any field I want. It's the same
database. All that was necessary was to use iTunes to copy the file
to the iPhone. There was nothing else to do.
I also have my business solution, which I also wrote in Filemaker,
being served on my iMac. Filemaker Go picks this up through the
wireless network and it works perfectly.
If I have multiple ipads (for separate jobs offshore) can I use
the one version of Go and database?
The current iteration if Filemaker Pro does not support
synchronisation, although that's not to say it might not in the
future, and Filemaker aren't saying. For the time being, therefore,
if you have multiple copies of the same file in use at once, data
management is problem you will have to solve for yourself.
Filemaker Go is still so new that most of the FM Developer
community is working on the problem, so I think solutions and
strategies will emerge over time.
Cheers,
Peter
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>