On 9 September 2010 10:41, Hugh Griffiths <hgriffi...@lgc.com> wrote:
> Gordon, thanks for that, what is wrong with the NetGear?

The issue I had with the Netgear was regular rebooting. There's quite
a bit of discussion about this on Whirlpool and it has been traced
back to issues with the number of simultaneous connections that the
device can handle (a common issue with cheap routers). Basically,
think of P2P software or games that scan through a list of servers.
These open up a a huge number of connections to many different IP
addresses all at the same time, in the case of BitTorrent software it
could be hundreds of them. The routers have limited memory and
resources and they usually crap out if too many connections are opened
up too fast. Some of them react by seizing up and some by rebooting.
The Netgear that Bigpond initially supplied me would reboot, which was
pretty annoying.

So now I have a Motorola SB5101U modem connected to a Billion 7404VGO
that I've modified to use an ethernet port for WAN. This setup has
worked great for me.

Gordon