Done that Daniel. I'm wondering if a special Finder background image app I have 
may have caused problems. It's a moving video of various scenes. I also forgot 
to unplug a USB backup drive the first time. 

Is it okay to run the updated in safe boot mode to stop any background oddities 
interfering?

T 

Sent from my iPhone

On 13/11/2010, at 3:33 PM, Daniel Kerr <[email protected]> wrote:

> 
> Hi Tim
> 
> I'd reinstall the OSX 10.6.5 update from the dmg file just to play it safe.
> Shouldn't hurt it, but may fix anything that wasn't installed 100% the first
> time.
> 
> Kind Regards
> Daniel
> 
> 
> On 13/11/10 3:12 PM, "Tim Law" <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> 
>> All,
>> 
>> Instead of relying on Software Update to upgrade to 10.6.5 on my Mac Mini as 
>> I
>> normally do, I thought I'd try the combo update route promoted here and
>> downloaded the 10.6.5 combo update file which ran to a 1Gb file.
>> 
>> i diligently repaired permissions, twice, and went ahead with confidence,
>> having never had any problems with an upgrade.
>> 
>> Once I checked the upgrade was running smoothly I went away only to be 
>> alerted
>> to 'the computers having a spaz attack' by an alert family member.
>> 
>> The screen was flashing in a way I'd never seen it before. Only the top of 
>> the
>> screen was visible, and only momentarily in between flashes. I have uploaded 
>> a
>> short movie (5mb) of the fault to:
>> http://gallery.me.com/peoplehelp/100247
>> I've no idea why the image is upside down on Gallery. That's odd!!
>> 
>> The only way I could control the Mac Mini was to hold down the power button
>> until it turned off. No keyboard shortcuts would make a difference
>> 
>> On restart the finder came back as expected.
>> But once the screen went to sleep, it wouldn't wake, so another hard restart
>> was needed. 
>> 
>> I checked under "about this Mac" and it is indicating I am now running 10.6.5



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>