On 16/12/2010, at 2:01 PM, lynn...@westnet.com.au wrote:

> hi
>
> i have noticed from the 2nd time i plugged my new ipad into the computer
> (macbook, 10.5.8, itunes 4.1.2) it hasnt been charging.
>
> it will say on my ipad 'not charging'.
>
> is this normal and has anyone got the same problem as me?

Hi Lynn,

Its really not practical to charge the iPad via USB connected to your Mac. It
charges to slowly.

The iPad actually will charge from a normal USB port, but not while the screen
is on.
If you hit the sleep button it will start charging, you just can't tell because
the screen is off.
As soon as you turn the screen back on, it says 'not charging' next to the
battery. Brings to mind the classic refrigerator light dilemma.

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 8GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.4 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)