Perfectly normal Lynn,

/Quote:
This really shouldn’t be a shocking thing to anyone with some basic common
sense. The iPhone and iPod can charge via USB, but they’re tiny devices
compared to the iPad. The iPad has a mammoth battery that’s 5 times bigger than
the iPhones, so it’s not surprising that USB charging isn’t ideal. But combine
that with USB docks that vary with power ratings and low-end computers with
poor quality USB outputs, and you’ve got a scenario where you can’t charge via
USB. Scandal!

Fact is, this device should be looked at more like a standalone device, not
just another accessory to dock to your computer. When you travel, bring the
charger with you – no differently than you would with any other portable gizmo
that’s not USB powered. And when you’re home, charge it via the outlet as well.
Only dock it to the computer when you want to sync, not charge.

Besides, charging via USB is going to be slow at best anyways. Why not juice it
up quickly?
/End Quote

<http://www.applegazette.com/ipad/the-ipad-and-charging/>