Hi Laura.

Without letting too much of the cat out of the bag, I have tried to answer your
questions as below.

It is planned to let the whole cat out just after the next monthly meeting!
(Bet that intrigues a few people!!) Oh, and it's got nothing to do with 'Lion',
just that common saying.

Regards,

Pete Smith

On 25/03/2011, at 11:26 AM, Laura Webb wrote:

> Good morning all
>
> Could someone please clarify questions about membership.
>
> From my reading of information on the WAMUG web page,  the List is free to
> all,  but those wishing  to attend monthly meetings, should pay a membership
> of $30 per year. I presume such membership also gives a right to vote as and
> when necessary. I have also understood that membership is due per calendar
> year and generally payable around the time of the AGM.

1.   You are right in that membership does give the right to vote when
necessary.
      Unfortunately, the constitution puts the subscription year 12 months from
each member's initial joining. We are hoping to have that changed very soon.

> By implication are all those attending monthly meetings presumed to be
> financial members?

2.   Non-financial members are not actually banned from the meetings. We
encourage prospective members to come along and have a look before they join.
(I did for a couple of meetings which is why I joined.)

We are also looking at ways of being able to introduce some 'members only
extras' that would add value to being a member and, hopefully, encourage others
to join. Not just at meetings but on the website too.

> We regularly see reminders about forthcoming meetings. Why do we never see a
> reminder that membership is due? Could this not be included with the reminder
> about the AGM?

3.  Hopefully, point 1 will fix this up and then annual reminders will
definitely be posted.

> Unable to attend the AGM, I posted a cheque on 3rd March for $30 to the
> following address as shown on the web page:-
>
> WAMUG Treasurer,  PO Box 514,  WEMBLEY  6913.

4.  I have received the new address today and the website was actually updated
about an hour ago.
     <http://www.wamug.org.au/join/>

> My cheque has just been returned, the envelope endorsed "opened in error". It
> is good to know that someone was kind enough to return it.
>
> I note that it is now possible to pay by bank transfer, an option that I
> don't remember being available last year. I shall now use that method but do
> feel concerned that an incorrect address is being shown on the web page.

5.   The electronic option is indeed a recent addition to the Join page and you
may have also noticed that we no longer use PayPal/PayMate. From memory, it
occurred at the end of January this year.

I wont say any more until after the April meeting. All the info will be on the
website and there will also be a posting about it on the List. There are still
a few tweaks to be done on the 'cat' but they'll be done by then.