G'Day all

I hope no-one drowned in yesterday's rain.
This morning I updated to 10.6.8 using the combo update.  I repaired
permissions prior to the update.  The update appeared to install correctly but
on the restart I had no dock.  I repaired permissions again and did another
restart with the same result.  Going to the system preferences for the dock all
the settings appear OK but response to opening items was very slow.  Another
problem that has arisen is with the desktop background,  I had Apple's nature
images as background set to change randomly at 1 minute intervals, they were
changing at 1 second intervals so I have gone to solid colour.
I have not tried any remedial action yet, has anyone any suggestions?

Regards

Barry

iMac 10,1
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz