Hi Barry,

Did you install anything new just prior to doing the OS X 10.6.8 Combo update?

Have you tried resetting PRAM and NVRAM  <http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379> ?

Another suggestion,
Boot in Safe mode, run Repair Permissions in Disk Utility.
Then restart normally.

Or better still: Repair Disk & Repair Permissions using the OS X Snow Leopard
Installation disc.
A). Repair Disk.

1.  Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then
restart the computer while holding the C key.

2.  When your computer finishes starting up from the disc,  select your
language first, then select Disk Utility from the Installer menu (at the top of
your screen).
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you
do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3.  Click the First Aid tab.

4.  Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display
the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5.  Select your Mac OS X volume (sub-entry below the drive entry).

6.  Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If Disk Utility reports any errors have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk
until no errors are reported.

B)  Then click on Repair Permissions.