tonight's WAMUG meeting. The apps are used in the teaching of Physics tutorials
and labs, and a Maths tutorial.

The iPad replaces 10 - 20 kg of manuals that I would usually carry in a
back-pack while cycling to classes, and also carries a whole library of
reference works that I normally would not be able to take along. Apart from
having less weight to carry, if the trend catches on for student text books,
many fewer trees will be felled to make paper.

iBooks - free download.
Apples own classy, fully featured electronic book reader. Includes many visual
effects that are starting to appear in imitations.
The "collections" feature can be used on the iPad itself to group books.
All the classic physics texts are loaded for reference along with the current
first year, UWA texts. A library full of information!
I have one young student who was actually issued an eBook Maths text by her
school. It has a nice feature that tapping on a maths problem jumps to the
solution and vice versa.

GoodReader - $5.49
Used to mark up PDF's with type annotations, hand written text, and
highlighting.
Used to access lab manuals, assignments and assignment solutions. Documents
that benefit from annotation and notes.
It replaces what usually becomes a 5 centimetre thick manilla folder of papers.
And many poorly printed lab manuals.

Numbers - $10.49
Apple's own user friendly spreadsheet.
Used to record student attendance lists, and grades.
iCloud, when it appears (next month according to the Apple press), will
automatically sync Numbers spreadsheets between all your Macs and iOS devices.

powerOne SL- free for non-professinal version
This has become my calculator of choice. For the older geek crowd it supports
Hewlett-Packard reverse polish notation!

Video and iTunes U - included in iOS
iTunes U is just a wonderful resource. For instance there is a Stanford U
series on Thermodynamics, an Oxford U series on Quantum Mechanics, or for
software developers there are all the sessions from Apple's latest World Wide
Developers' Conference.
Many amazing lectures on most every topic are available from top flight
universities and teaching institutions.

Cheers,
Carlo