Hi Shayne,

As far as the original receipt is concerned I believe your friend will be OK. I
have actually had a piece of hardware replaced at the Apple Store and they
didn't even ask to see the receipt. Using the serial number, their computer
records showed that the item was registered to me. I don't know if this is
standard policy or a one-off polite Apple rep., but your friend could give the
store a call and check.

As for the black screen, I seem to remember that there was some discontent
surrounding the iMac display some years back. I don't recall the details of the
problem but I believe Apple issued a firmware fix. Does your friend have the
latest firmware?

Cheers,
Carlo