Hi Tim,

I had started typing a reply earlier this morning, but had to halt and do a
client’s job and my ‘draft' email did not save :(
So I’ve now had to try and get my train of thought back and remember what I was
going to say.

On 30/11/2011, at 8:06 AM, Tim Law wrote:

> On 30/11/2011, at 7:48 AM, Ronda Brown wrote:
>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>>> 3. On return to Australia, I updated to OS5, updated Pages on the desktop,
>>> iPhone and iPad, and started using iCloud.
>>
>> So all the Pages documents were created on the iPad before you had iCloud
>> syncing setup?
>
> Yes, All the Pages Documents I can no longer access were created on the iPad
> before iCloud.

How did you get these Pages documents from the iPad onto your Mac when you
returned?
Did you export / transfer them into iTunes File sharing section Pages App and
then selected them all and ‘Save To’ to save them to a location on your Mac?

Did you do this BEFORE you updated Pages Application and setup iCloud?
If so would the documents open in Pages then?

> Documents I have created since updating Pages, OS5 and sync to iCloud work as
> expected.

As we would expect them to as they are all compatible with each other since
updating.

>> Did you sync the Pages Documents to your Mac as soon as you returned home to
>> your computer and BEFORE setting up iCloud?
>>
>> You won’t see these Pages Documents in iCloud if you didn’t.
>
> They are in iCloud, so I assume I did everything correctly.
> But I cannot download them and by clicking on them they have a flag come up
> saying they are updating. This never completes - well, after ten minutes
> anyway.

You will need to let them update to the new format. Depending on how large the
15 documents you created on the iPad while you were away are , I presume this
could take quite some time.

I'm also a bit concerned (not knowing exactly what you did immediately you
returned home to your Mac) if the Pages documents that were created on the iPad
prior to updating Pages App & iCloud etc, have not been properly downloaded to
the Mac Pages format & are still in the iOS format?

The Mac and iOS versions of the same iWork document are different. When you
load a Mac version of an iWork document into an iOS iWork app, the document is
converted to the iOS format.

> I didn't upgrade for a few days after arriving home, so 'assumed' Pages
> synced as it normally would have done prior to upgrading. I don't recall
> doing anything special - y'know, just let the Mac do it's thing….

How were you syncing, via MobileMe or iTunes?
Did you check you could open the Pages Documents first before you did a sync?

>> DON’T delete the Pages Documents until we have time to sort out what has
>> happened and ways to restore the documents.
>>
>> I haven’t had time to read your post thoroughly, as soon as I’m able I’ll
>> get back to you and try to give any assistance I can.
>> Just don’t delete the Pages documents because once deleted they are gone!
>

> Sure. I won't delete them, but as the posting (below) says, they are no
> longer needed. But it's a worry that this can happen following an upgrade.
>

>> Cheers,
>> Ronni
>
> Thanks Ronni.
>

> Tim
>

>> On 30/11/2011, at 6:37 AM, Tim Law wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Carlo,
>>>
>>> When I go to https://www.icloud.com/   on either the iPhone or iPad, Safari
>>> flicks me through to a page that will only allow me to 'Set up iCloud',
>>> 'install find my iPhone', and 'Install Find my friends'.  There is no
>>> option to log in.    iCloud IS setup on both devices and apart from this,
>>> is functioning as I would expect. I cannot find a place to  'see' the
>>> documents as they are stored on iCloud, unlike I could with iDisk in the
>>> good old days....  :-)
>>>

>>> However, when I go to https://www.icloud.com/  on my Mac Mini, and then to
>>> iWork, I see the documents I am seeking. Any that are in Word, or created
>>> with the new version of Pages on the iPad (I created a test document
>>> yesterday before asking for help) are working as expected and will
>>> download.
>>>
>>> However the documents I created on the iPad in October remain a problem. I
>>> can select them and delete them. But if I click on them to try to download
>>> them, a flag comes up on the document saying 'Updating' and stays there for
>>> ages, like 10 minutes.
>>>
>>> It looks like these documents are toast. As I said in my original query,
>>> the contents of them have already been pasted over into my wordpress travel
>>> blog, but geez, if not, I'd be mighty miffed.
>>>
>>> I imagine I'm not alone.
>>>
>>> The sequence of events again is.
>>>
>>> 1. Travelling in Europe, I created a document each day as a diary. It was
>>> easier to write into Pages, than straight into the wordpress blog site
>>> which I could only do when online.  The version of Pages on the iPad was
>>> the one current in September/ October, 2011
>>>
>>> 2. Whilst I was away, iCloud and the updated version of Pages for iPad was
>>> released. I did not update whilst away as I needed to connect to my desktop