On 30/11/2011, at 1:00 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> I had started typing a reply earlier this morning, but had to halt and do a
> client’s job and my ‘draft' email did not save :(
> So I’ve now had to try and get my train of thought back and remember what I
> was going to say.
>
> On 30/11/2011, at 8:06 AM, Tim Law wrote:
>
>> On 30/11/2011, at 7:48 AM, Ronda Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tim,

>>> So all the Pages documents were created on the iPad before you had iCloud
>>> syncing setup?
>>
>> Yes, All the Pages Documents I can no longer access were created on the iPad
>> before iCloud.
>
> How did you get these Pages documents from the iPad onto your Mac when you
> returned?

I didn't. I left them on the iPad. As I didn't need them any more, I didn't
need to do anything with them. Whilst travelling I used them to write my blog
on the train for example, then uploaded them to the wordpress site when I had
wifi.  I could have deleted from the iPad at the time, but never got around to
it. My concern was raised last night when I couldn't open them on the machine
they were created on.

> Did you export / transfer them into iTunes File sharing section Pages App and
> then selected them all and ‘Save To’ to save them to a location on your Mac?

Nope. As above.

> Did you do this BEFORE you updated Pages Application and setup iCloud?

Nope. As above.
> If so would the documents open in Pages then?
>
>> Documents I have created since updating Pages, OS5 and sync to iCloud work
>> as expected.
>
> As we would expect them to as they are all compatible with each other since
> updating.
>>
>>> Did you sync the Pages Documents to your Mac as soon as you returned home
>>> to your computer and BEFORE setting up iCloud?
>>>
>>> You won’t see these Pages Documents in iCloud if you didn’t.
>>
>> They are in iCloud, so I assume I did everything correctly.
>> But I cannot download them and by clicking on them they have a flag come up
>> saying they are updating. This never completes - well, after ten minutes
>> anyway.
>
> You will need to let them update to the new format. Depending on how large
> the 15 documents you created on the iPad while you were away are , I presume
> this could take quite some time.
>
> I'm also a bit concerned (not knowing exactly what you did immediately you
> returned home to your Mac) if the Pages documents that were created on the
> iPad prior to updating Pages App & iCloud etc, have not been properly
> downloaded to the Mac Pages format & are still in the iOS format?

I suspect this is the case. They would have been created in the old IOS format.
I'm going out for my own work now, so will try to open them in iCloud/iWorks
again. However this morning, nothing upgraded despite me leaving the computer
for an hour.

If I try to open them on the iPad or iPhone, both running OS5, there is a
little blue activity bar across the bottom of each one for a second or so, then
the action stops.

> The Mac and iOS versions of the same iWork document are different. When you
> load a Mac version of an iWork document into an iOS iWork app, the document
> is converted to the iOS format.
>
>> I didn't upgrade for a few days after arriving home, so 'assumed' Pages
>> synced as it normally would have done prior to upgrading. I don't recall
>> doing anything special - y'know, just let the Mac do it's thing….
>
> How were you syncing, via MobileMe or iTunes?

MobileMe.

> Did you check you could open the Pages Documents first before you did a sync?

No.

Ronni, I suspect that will the upgrades of both Pages, and the OS and the move
to iCloud, these documents have been lost/locked in some past version timewarp.
This is not a real problem for me now, but I'm cautious for the future. Should
I be downloading every Pages document I have created on the iPad immediately
onto the Desktop Mac??

Thanks

Tim