Hi Alex,

Epson is a good choice for a printer. When it comes to colour photographic
reproduction, I rank their top-of-the-line printers as the best there is. To
answer your queries. Firstly no worries about when to stop printing on a
cartridge. The printer will get to a certain point and then refuse to continue
printing using the spent cartridge. There is at that point sufficient ink in
the cartridge to ensure there is no damage to the print head.

For the second query my opinion is a decisive no. What makes Epson superior is
the research they have put into their colour ink. As a market leader there is
really a vast difference between what Epson supplies and the coloured water of
the knock-offs. There is a vast amount of literature on the progression of ink
technology and it is really impressive stuff. The colourfast nature and
resistance to fading of high quality inkjet printers has no surpassed most
other technologies. The other factor to consider is that the official ink has
just the right consistency and correct proportions of particles so as not to
block the printhead. If because of using compatible inks you have to replace
the printhead just once in the life of the printer, you have probably lost all
the savings that would have accrued from the ink. Also, every photo you have
printed to that point is printed in inferior ink that has lesser colour
definition and that will fade more quickly.

Enough ranting, but that is my two bits worth. :-)

Cheers,
Carlo