I'm no expert on this, but the audio out can provide both analog and
digital output, and there's a little microswitch hidden inside the
socket. If that switch gets accidentally changed, audio fails.  There is
a little light in there which indicates one or the other modes, but I'm
not sure which is which.

Hope this gives you something to look into.

However, given that the internal speakers also don't work, it could be
hardware.

Rob

--
Associate Professor Rob Phillips