Hi Peter,

The other thing to think about, depending on where you are travelling and
what sort of internet access you expect, are the local online TV offerings.
We are all aware of the excellent ABC iView and I believe SBS and the
commercial networks have their own offerings (though not on the same level,
from what I hear).

These things tend to be location limited - for example, I know the BBC has
an excellent iPlayer <http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv> with extensive sport
coverage, including football (or soccer to Ausssies) eg Match of the Day -
UEFA Euro 2012 Highlights
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jqfph/Match_of_the_Day_UEFA_Euro_20
12_Highlights_08_06_2012/>
- however, if you try to play a TV program you will get the message:

> Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but
> all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you.

 I suspect you would get something similar trying to access ABC iView from
outside Australia.

So... If you are planning on travelling somewhere with good internet and
good TV coverage of what you want to watch, this may be easier than having
to keep re-tuning a USB TV tuner (eg the ElGato) - probably depends on how
long you stay put vs how much you keep moving.

One other thing to consider - though I haven't tried it myself, is to use
one of the various strategies to fool the content server into thinking you
computer IS located in the correct geographic region.

Some quick googling seems to suggest that using proxy servers (eg the
FoxyProxy extension for Firefox) don't work too well but using a VPN is
better. It seems that several good VPN providers offer free trials so you
can try it out. There seem to be a few different approaches (eg using the
VPN to initiate connection and then switching it off)

As I say, I've never tried it and don't claim to be well up in these matters
- so Google away and you will find lots of discussions - I would just say
use the filters to just view recent articles - the delivery technology
changes rapidly and old solutions may well be obsolete.

And "just one more thing" if you think the BBC coverage will keep you happy,
but you are not going to be in the UK, this ABC webpage from Sept 2011:
<http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2011/09/28/3328262.htm>
Says that the BBC has launched a commercial global iPlayer - the article
says:
> The first ten hours are free to allow 'try-before-you-buy'.
and suggests it is only for the iPad - however, things seem to have moved
on.

The current page for the App is
<http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/bbc-iplayer-global/id449130604?mt=8>
The App itself is free - with some free content - other content is an in-app
purchase.

Some quotes from the app page:

> Explore the best of British TV! More than 2000 hours of the best British TV
> shows on demand. Constantly refreshed, including 13 different genres, these
> programmes are at your fingertips when you subscribe! If you want to have a
> look before you subscribe, browse our free content, enriched and updated every
> week. You can also enjoy all our shows on your big TV screen using HDMI or
> AirPlay.

> Subscribe today for unlimited access on your iPad, iPhone and iPod touch (one
> subscription covers all three devices).

> Watch on your TV via an HDMI adaptor and cable or with AirPlay. All you need
> is the latest version of the app and Apple TV firmware 5.0.1.

> Streaming and downloading of content is only available using an internet
> connection via Wi-Fi or 3G. Downloading to view offline is available only to
> subscribers.

You would obviously need to check if the current sport coverage in which you
are interested is included in this global content.

Anyway, just some alternative thoughts ;o)

HTH

Cheers

Neil
who's now going to download the app and have a play ;o)
--
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia

on 10/6/12 1:21 PM, Peder Kristensen at ped...@westnet.com.au wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Check out the Elgato TV app and device. For more info
> http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products.en.html
>
> I use the Elgato Diversity and Elgato TV Mobile for my iPad, and both works
> very well.
>
> Cheers,
> Peder
>
> On 10/06/2012, at 12:58 PM, Peter Faulks wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone
>>
>> Whilst travelling I want to watch TV on my Mac  and particularly the
>> Euro 2012 if it is possible.
>>
>> What is the best device to use on a Mac Book Pro (Snow Leopard) to
>> watch TV and or things like Euro 2012.
>>

>> --
>> Peter & Irene Faulks
>> Unit 1, 9 Newsam Close
>> PARKWOOD  WA  6147
>>
>> Phone:   +618 9457 0747 (h)
>> Fax:         +618 9457 0444
>> Peter Mobile:     0416 187 937
>> Irene Mobile:  0439 933 404
>>
>> Email: peterfau...@westnet.com.au

>> are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
>> your system manager. This message contains confidential information
>> and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the
>> named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
>> email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have
>> received the email from your system. If you are not the intended
>> recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or
>> taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is
>> strictly prohibited.
>> Settings & Unsubscribe -

Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia