Hi Peter,

If your MacBook Pro won't wake when you open the lid, or you press any key, or
mouse click.
Have you Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)?

Reset SMC on MacBook Pro (early 2009 and later )

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own
include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and
MacBook (Late 2009).

1.  Shut down the computer.

2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the
Mac if its not already connected.

3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys
and the power button at the same time.

4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily
turn off when you reset the SMC.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964>

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.7.4 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)