Hi Tom,

If I understand your problem correctly you received a bounce back for an
email which was sent from your account to your wifes old account which
no longer exists. Unfortunately there is little you can do about. It is
like me sending a letter to an invalid / non-existing address and it
gets returned to the return address specified on the letter.

Unlike snail-mail you got the headers and the bounce back. The headers
in this case may not be so useful since you looking at the bounce back.
However the bounce back itself should contain the details of the system
from which the original mail came form.

Bouncing it in this case will not have any effect as it only goes back
to the mail server which sent you a notification that it couldn't
deliver your message. There are cases when the bounce option was useful.
For example to deal with head-hunters or other people annoying you. To
deal with real spam a good spam-filter helps.

To deal with this issue gray listing can help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting

Since you using iinet this will most likely not be possible to
implement. If it happens only every so often just delete the message. If
this happens a lot see if the messages came from the same IP address.

Maybe email your findings to the list and we will see what else to suggest.

Alex