Hi Severin,

Mountain Lion is all about integration with iCloud - iOS and all devices.

You sign into OS X Mountain Lion using your Apple ID, which then triggers
iCloud, iTunes, the Mac App Store and FaceTime to set up automatically. If you
do not have an iCloud account, you can set one up.

Then, with iCloud set up and running, Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Messages and
Find My Mac all easily sync once.

Severin, if you want to 'Store' a Calendar "On My Mac" and not Merge it with
iCloud:

1. In Calendar >Preferences >Accounts, disable the iCloud account (there's a
simple tickbox).
   All the iCloud calendars will disappear from Calendar's list.

2. Now you can create a new calendar, and it will appear "On My Mac".
    Make sure that the new calendar does not have the same name as any of your
iCloud calendars, to avoid Calendar being  tempted to merge them later.

    All the iCloud calendars will reappear, and your File > New Calendar menu
should now give you the choice of creating in the cloud or locally.