Hi Brian,

Daniel I'm sure is busy, so I'll try to help you.

If you select "Sync only checked songs and videos", iTunes will copy only those
items whose little checkboxes in List View or Album List View are checked.

Enabling this option means that you can pick exactly what you want to copy to
your iOS device down to individual items.
Just check and uncheck the items in your iTunes library

If you select "Manually manage music and videos", then music and videos will
copy to your iOS device only if you drag them to its icon in the iTunes Source
list (Under Library).
While this is time consuming, it may be a good choice if you don’t want to
worry about syncing automatically and prefer to just drag what you want.
It can be easier than worrying about those little checkboxes.
---
I don't have any purchased TV Shows or Movies, I have movies of my own in
Movies (Under Library) and my iPad sync settings are:

Summary Tab:  I have 'Back up to this computer' and  'Open iTunes when this
iPad is connected'

Movies Tab: Sync Movies ticked - and have only selected by the little
checkboxes what movies I want to sync to my iPad

Books: Sync Books ticked - and have only selected by the little checkboxes what
Books I want to sync on my iPad

Music: Sync Music is ticked - and have selected  'Selected playlists, artists,
albums, and genes' - 'Include music videos', 'Include voice memos'
And selected the checkboxes of the playlists I want to sync to my iPad

Photos: The same "Selected albums, Events, etc" & 'Include videos' selected
And selected the Albums & Videos I want to sync to my iPad.