Hi Walter,

The best anti virus for your MAC is your MAC OS.
There are no known viruses for MAC.  Trojans and malware are not viruses.
Follow the safe browsing rules so you won't have to worry about viruses,
trojans and malware.

All real-time antivirus products slow down your computer, that is the nature of
the game.
So Sophos will slow down your computer.
Norton software tends to always be bloated and not really that great to begin
with, so I would leave iAntiVirus alone.

If you feel you require Antivirus program on your Mac ClamXav 2.3.2 is highly
recommended and Free.
But DON'T download the App Store version, download from this link.
<http://www.clamxav.com/download.php#>

What are the differences between the version of ClamXav available to download
here and the version on the Mac App Store?

        • The App Store version doesn't contain ClamXav Sentry, so it is not
able to watch your computer for new files and scan them as they arrive.
        • There is no engine installation phase as the App Store requirements
stipulate that everything must be self-contained within the app.
        • Virus definition updates are downloaded on a per-user basis.
        • Updates to the ClamXav app itself are taken care of via the Mac App
Store.
        • Mac OS X 10.6 or greater is required.

So to answer your Question:
> Are they worth having and will they work with my iMac running 10.6.8 ?

It is your choice really, if having virus protection on your Mac is going to
make you feel safer (more protected) go ahead.
Personally I don't feel they are worth having.

And Yes, they will run on your iMac running 10.6.8, just make sure you download
the version compatible with OS X 10.6.8