Just to first make sure the external drive is Formatted and Partitioned
correctly for Time Machine, please do this:
1. Connect the external drive to your computer
2. Open Disk Utility
    In the left hand column, click on the drive icon for the name of your
external drive.
    (Make sure you click on the first icon, not the second level volume icon.)

At the bottom do you see "Partition Map Scheme: GUID Partition Table"?

3. Then Select the second level volume (your TM volume)
At the bottom do you have Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)