No2 -  Make sure you select (click on) the External Drive icon then you will
see what Partition Map Scheme it is formatted as (not the second name (volume)
of the external drive which is your TM volume)

Your Time Machine volume is in Step 3 and must be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Is your Time Machine volume named "Super drive" or is that the name of the
external drive?

The icons change as you have mentioned below, that is correct.
When the USB Drive is connected the icon on the desktop will show as USB
When TM works it will show as TM icon

Do you mean there are TWO icons for the external drive showing on the Desktop?

I need to know if the External Drive is formatted correctly.

Once I know if the External Drive is formatted correctly for use with Time
Machine, I can then help you sort the problem.