Hi Allen,

Yes, an Erase & Install of Snow Leopard would be very sensible, there are
problems on your current system, most possible brought over from previous
upgrades. As I have mentioned before on WAMUG, left over "Clutter" from
previous systems can slow your Mac down and also cause problems.
Over time, your disk accumulates obsolete, extraneous, or otherwise useless
files, often called “cruft”—hacker slang for digital detritus. Removing cruft
increases the disk space available for the system and reduces the chance of
software conflicts.
I erased my Hard Drive and did a 'Clean Install' of Lion, and have not
experienced any problems in Lion or now Mountain Lion (which I did just an
upgrade install).

A clean system installation brings the system software back to the standard
configuration. This is necessary when system software is unusable or has been
modified, preventing a normal installation. It is also useful as a final step
in troubleshooting.

Options to "Erase and Install" and "Archive and Install" are no longer present
in the Mac OS X 10.6 installer. This was done for convenience, so that users do
not accidentally erase and install their Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard partitions.
However, "Erase and Install" remains available through Disk Utility, which is
also included on the installation DVD.

After you select your language and click the right arrow, an "Install Mac OS X"
screen, this is where you diverge from Apple's standard upgrade script and
erase your disk. Choose Utilities > Disk Utility.
I would also "Repair the Drive" also before installing SL.
If you need details how to preform the Erase and then installation of SL, post
back.

Point 1:
Your TM backups and any other current backups will contain whatever is causing
your problems. So you will have to be careful what you 'bring across from any
backup'. First just bring across essential Data. Also installing any
applications you require from the backup is much safer than dragging the
applications across to a clean install.

Point 2:
After the erase and install of SL, download the Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Combo.
Snow Leopard 10.6.8:  <http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399>
(Note: there's a separate Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Supplemental Update:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1429>  that is not included in the 10.6.8
"combo".)

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)