Hello Everyone, I had to be rescued by Daniel after jamming the Snow Leopard installation disc. I have ejected externals and since then have not had a freeze and will add them back one by one. I could not access the Apple hardware test and I am not confident to go back to the original installation discs. So I will report to Daniel what happens from here on so that he can come and advise whether the fault lies in a computer that may be worn out, one of the externals or my ineptitude.
Thank you all very much for the help. Ronni, I hope your weather, like ours in Perth, has quietened down Regards, Jennifer On 28 November 2012 13:12, Jennifer Lefroy <[email protected]>wrote: > Thank you everyone. That gives me quite a few things to work on during > this stormy day. I think it might be a couple of days before I can report > back from the various things to try, but I will do them all and see what > happens. > > Don't get blown away - at least not literally! > > Regards, > Jennifer > > > On 28 November 2012 10:33, Rick Armstrong <[email protected]> wrote: > >> Hi Jennifer, >> I not sure if this helps, but I have seen some iMac screen panels for >> sale on eBay and could understand why someone would be selling these (just >> the screen panels). Perhaps, it may be cheaper to buy the panel from eBay >> and get the wizard technician to replace it. I think a replacement panel >> from Apple may be exorbitant. >> On 28/11/2012, at 9:58 AM, Jennifer Lefroy wrote: >> >> > Hello Everyone, >> > >> > Recently we had screen freezes on our iMac Version 10.6.8 running Snow >> > Leopard. A wizard technician sorted that and it was fine for a short >> > time. Now it has shown a frozen bluey grey screen on start up this >> morning >> > (normal one after being powered off), froze again yesterday, has shown >> on >> > one occasion on start up a full transitory white screen with small >> > rectangular dashes and there have been a couple of occasions when, on >> > opening an application, a small version of this white widow with dashes >> has >> > appeared very briefly. I repair permissions after updating. >> > >> > The multi coloured wheel also seems to appear more frequently. >> > >> > Should we be thinking of more technical help or are we heading towards >> > replacement? The computer is 5 years old, but when working well, does >> > everything we need and so we have no wish to upgrade unless our present >> one >> > is a hopeless cause. >> > >> > My apologies if I am asking an impossible question. >> > Regards, >> > Jennifer >> > -------------- next part -------------- >> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed... >> > URL: >> http://lists.wamug.org.au/pipermail/wamug.org.au-wamug/attachments/20121128/f59b67fa/attachment.htm >> > -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- >> > Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> >> > Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> >> > Settings & Unsubscribe - < >> http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug> >> >> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- >> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> >> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> >> Settings & Unsubscribe - < >> http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug> >> > > -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: http://lists.wamug.org.au/pipermail/wamug.org.au-wamug/attachments/20121130/ec0e3050/attachment.htm -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

